Saturday, July 15, 2006

Home pwnership

Well, the day has come and I have finally managed to become a homeowner. Although I'm not moved in yet, I closed on the house on Monday. If I seem scarce on here in the future it will be because I will have my hands full moving and getting everything setup with the new house.

I'm very excited about the new house but I do have mixed feelings. On one hand I will finally have a place to settle down for a while and start cutting down spending on my disposable income. I will finally have a garage that I will be able to keep my dream motorcycle (Which I've wanted since I was 15) in, as well as a small workshop that is not in my bedroom or on the kitchen table. I'm also building credit, and gaining equity in the house, thus making future purchases/credit easier. All of these things I have been working towards for a while.

On the other hand it is the longest commitment that I have made, well, ever. Although moving each year is a huge hassle, I love the entropy it causes. A whole new layout of the house, different roommates, purging of the old an unused, as well as many other reasons I cannot fathom at this moment. Also I feel as if I've missed out on a part of life that most people my age are going through, college. Had I gone straight to a 4 year college out of high school I would be finishing up my degree right now. I wouldn't be worrying about many of the things I do now. I would love to have my BS completed by now. I still plan on completing it, but how long will it take at the current rate. Prior to buying the house, I would have the opportunity to go back to school full time and work on finish it up relatively quickly. But now the commitment makes this almost impossible. Of course in a few years I could sell the house off and go back to school, but a few years is a long time when all of your friends are graduating/ have graduated. After getting my BS I would love to get an Masters Degree, but it seems like it will be forever before I have a chance to even get there.

Anyway, perhaps it is my GIAG Syndrome acting up, but I feel as if perhaps going off the school route might of been a better choice in the long run. I would have less money and toys than I do now, but the payoff might be better in the end. Or is the working experience I'm gaining now going to make up for it in the end? Nobody can know for now, only the future will tell.

I will post some pics of the house as soon as I move in (and get my camera back...). It is a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, with attached one car garage and a decent backyard for being in town. It will feel very good to get out of the cramped situation I am in right now.

1 comment:

basscomm said...

Congrats on the house!